Edexcel – Level 3 Education & Training
Level 3 Award in Education & Training
Formerly known as PTLLS, the Award in Education and Training is a short course designed to enable a wide range of students to undertake teaching, training or learning tasks relevant to their own training or teaching situation. It is recommended for all teachers new to the sector, whether in further education, adult and community learning, work-based learning or other parts of the learning and skills sector.
The award is suitable for those who work, or intend to work, as:
- Teachers in adult and community education
- Teachers or trainers in the voluntary sector
- Training personnel in commerce, industry, the public sector or HM Forces
- Technicians and support staff in further and adult education
Students should normally have at least a Level 3 (i.e. A-Level/BTEC equivalent) qualification in the subject they wish to teach and have a reasonable command of English, Numeracy and IT.
The award is designed to develop the students’ ability to:
- Identify students’ needs, backgrounds and aspirations
- Define basic principles of teaching and learning in relation to teaching/training
- Demonstrate in their planning, delivery and evaluation a regard for equal opportunities and health and safety legislation
- Develop their skills in devising programmes and schemes of work
- Adopt a systematic approach to planning learning sessions by reference to a variety of methods, and to develop innovation in their teaching/training
- Design, make and use a range of teaching and learning materials, using their own creative and information technology skills
- Develop their key skills
- Apply communication skills in teaching and training
- Design and apply appropriate means of assessing their own learners
The course requires the learner to complete 3 mandatory units which include:
- Understanding Roles, Responsibilities and Relationships in Education & Training
- Understanding and Using Inclusive Teaching and Learning Approaches in Education & Training
- Understanding Assessment in Education & Training
There are optional competence based units that are suitable for those who are in either a part time or full time classroom role, these include:
- Facilitate Learning and Development for Individuals
- Facilitate Learning and Development for Groups
- Understand the Principles and Practices of Assessment
Exams, Assessments & Delivery Method
On-going coursework assessments distance learning with full support. There is a 15 minute micro teach session which will be held with your peers at a suitably convenient time.
Edexcel Pearson Level 3 Award in Education & Training.
Students may progress from this course to either the Pearson Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training or the Certificate in Education/PGCE.